Pages

Friday 2 March 2012

Wedding calligraphy #1

Here's a sneaky peak at some of the place cards I wrote out for my wedding in February. The colour scheme included creams and purples, so for the place cards I mixed some purple gouache and used it with a Brause 66EF nib.


The names were originally written on standard ivory tent-style place cards (from Hobbycraft), but once we'd decided to get the favours from the world famous Grasmere gingerbread shop Sarah Nelson's, I cut each 'tent' in half to give a flat card and tucked them inside a strip of ribbon tied round each box.

Elizabeth is officially the most gorgeous name to write in Copperplate. More people should call their daughters Elizabeth.

I had great fun practicing some little flourishes to add to each of the names. Some lend themselves more naturally to this approach than others, but trying to find something to add to every name was a nice challenge.


I had a lot of positive feedback from our guests, with many of them saying that they'd be keeping their cards as a memento of the day. Unfortunately I don't yet have any pictures of the cards in situ, but I hope that one might crop up somewhere.

I also wrote out our table plan in copperplate. My pictures of this, as a work in progress, got eaten on the journey from the camera to the computer :-( but I should be able to obtain some pictures of the finished thing to share with you soon. The creation of the table plan is worthy of an entire post on it's own! (now there's something to look forward to).







No comments:

Post a Comment